product code : k8425 :
Wheway Optical of Birmingham in England were established in 1877.
They became a large manufacturing, wholesale and export company
specialising in metal frames, and by 1904, the Wheway family were
taking out patents. In the1920's they were the proprietors and
patentees of the "Adjusta" bridge which, being all one piece, including
the nose pads, allows adjustment for better fitting spectacles. Into the
Wheway were still selling the "Adjusta" patented frame all
over the old British Empire.
We have sold Wheway frames from this
pre-war period and they were not just innovative and practical but
decorative and worked in expensive metals. After the war though, with
the coming of the National Health Service and glasses being more
available and 'affordable', frames like this Windsor were made for the
new home market. The bridge is marked 20-10 which is half the amount
of gold fill in the 1920's luxury and pre-war Wheway pairs. The arms
are unusual in that they similarly adjust into different positions and
one might be tempted to think that the 'adjusta' refers to this. But
we have had these adjusta frames previously and this is the first with
these special sides. Quite what the purpose is, we can't work out:
perhaps it is merely allowing the wearer a more comfortable fit.
The Wheway went on into the late 1960's, maintaining their
reputation for craftsmanship and quality but perhaps went under as
eyewear in England started to look to the Far East and mass production.